Wine Dine and Play: 91 Wood Fire Oven

91 Wood Fire Oven



North Canton, Ohio
Californian Cuisine
Dined in April 2014



Before I begin this review I must inform you through disclaimer that I used to work for this company at this restaurant for a period of time while I was living in Canton, before moving on to other opportunities overseas. That being said, this review is based on two visits I made to both 91 Wood Fire Oven locations before I was employed, so there is no conflict of interest, and this review is like any other on this blog, honest and truthful based on my overall experience. That being said, it was a decent place to eat, better than their sister restaurant Table Six.

Scroll down to read the main review

World’s Top 100:
Alinea, Chicago                      

Other trending restaurants on wine, Dine, and Play:

Trending wines:
Kamen Estates, Sonoma       
Follow Wine, dine, and Play:
 https://www.facebook.com/WineDineAndPlayhttp://www.pinterest.com/winedineandplay/boards/https://twitter.com/WineDinePlay  https://plus.google.com/101959252647459500827/posts  http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1ovEUh/winedineandplay.blogspot.com/http://www.tumblr.com/blog/winedineandplayblog  http://www.flickr.com/photos/114404072@N02/http://digg.com/submit
 http://instagram.com/winedineandplay#
Star ratings chart:
5 stars
Extraordinary  
4 stars
Outstanding 
3 stars
Exceeded expectations    
2 stars
Above average                         
1 star
Average
No star rating
Basic, poor, or appalling


Review basics:
Overall Star rating by Wine, Dine, & Play:
1 of 5
Quality of food:
6 of 10
Presentation:
7 of 10
Wine selections by region:
Scroll below the main review section to see the tasting notes of the wines chosen.
4 of 10

Customer service:
7 of 10
Ambiance:
7 of 10
Corkage fee’s:
American Restaurant standard is $25.00 per bottle
Restaurant style:
Casual
Dress code:
Smart casual, or Casual
Reservations:
Not Required
Make reservation through seatme.com, a service through Yelp, or by contacting the restaurant directly. See contact info below the review section
Walk-ins:
Accepted
Child policy:
 
They have a kids menu, and cater to them with specials on Wednesdays so avoid the place like the plague on Wednesdays, and if the people going had common sense they would allow adult to eat in peace by hiring a Babysitter. See Alinea Baby Gate, god I love Alinea.
Cuisine style:
Contemporary, Modern,  Seafood, American, Californian, & Vegetarian
Music styles:
Background instrumental
Experiences:
Great outdoor dining, Good for special occasions,  Intimate, and a Neighborhood gem.
Gratuities:
Industry standard is 18-20% added to parties of 6 or more
 
Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Diner’s,
Parking:
Public lot, or street parking
Transport options:
Bus, taxi, limousine, personal vehicle, and walking
The restaurants reviewed on this site may have Wi-Fi, but do not require you to go online, because the excitement of the food and wine alone will keep you too entertained instead of checking your social media and emails.
Noise level:
Medium
Smoking:
Nonsmoking restaurant, and nonsmoking patio
Patio:
Yes


Food price per person
(Excluding tax & gratuity)

Price chart:
$£€¥ -                Under 50.00
$£€¥ x 2 -          Under 75.00
$£€¥ x 3 -          Over 100.00
$£€¥ x 4 -          Over 200.00
$£€¥ x 5 -          Over 400.00

Currencies chosen reflect the world’s major travelers and restaurant connoisseur's

My food bill:
Currency:
Country :
Price chart:
$ 41.00
United States Dollar (USD)
 
$
£ 24.14
Great Britain Pound Sterling (GBP)
 
£
30.46
European Union (EUR)
 
$ 44.08
Canadian Dollar (CAN)

 
$

Visit these sites to get up to date currency rates:    
 www.xe.com
Alternatively, visit:


Scroll down below the main review to see cost of wines and tasting notes.



From restaurants home page:
Ninety One Wood Fired Oven is an upscale casual restaurant as unique as its name. In the restaurant business since 1991, owners, Greg and Amy Goehring had a vision for a dining experience based on fresh, seasonal foods prepared in a chef-led kitchen. High quality, fresh ingredients are showcased on pizzas and in pasta and seafood dishes. Our strip steaks, touted as the “best in the city” are chateau cut, seasoned and grilled to perfection.

Main review:
As far as restaurants in the Canton area, this one is not too bad, when you’re comparing to the others. There are very few nice or fine dining restaurants in Canton, mainly to do with the fact that it is an old factory town that unfortunately is very run down, and very high with crime. The 91 Wood Fife Oven has two locations, one in North Canton where the first part of this review is based, which also happens to be where the better area and neighborhoods are located, and the second is to the west of the city of Canton in Jackson Township, but overall it is still listed as Canton on maps. As I entered the restaurant and was seated, I saw that it was well kept and neat, very similar to a French Style café-bistro and elegant. The only throw off was that every table had a table tent with advertisements of upcoming events, which you expect to see at a TGI Friday’s, not a restaurant that is advertising as finer dining.
My server was very professional and had a huge portion of knowledge to the menu, and was very comfortable at communicating it to me, as well as maintaining complete professionalism, which was the exact opposite as my Table Six experience. I took time reviewing the menu, and meanwhile she presented a plate of breads, one a homemade focaccia, and the other being a sourdough bread. She then presented a small plate with the numbers ninety one written on them made from a balsamic reduction, and then she topped the plate with olive oil, a nice touch. The sourdough was not home made and was actually very hard and crispy. Being that I would later work here, and be in charge of warming up this bread, I can attest to the fact that it got hard easy and fast.
I ordered a bottle of wine while I reviewed the menu, a cabernet from Faust Vineyards, Coombsville, Napa Valley, which I knew would be a very good selection since one of my favorite Napa wines came from the same area, a Gustavo wine. As the wine was delivered, the server did a small pour, where I could taste, and the wine was very good, the only bad thing, and it was not her fault, but the wine was very warm. Now as a wine connoisseur as you have most likely seen from reading the reviews of the wines I have on this blog, you will be able to tell that I’m picky…not a snob, just picky. Red wine especially a decent one like this cabernet, should be held like most red wines at a cool temperature between 54 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit, and every wine expert in the world will agree to that as the best temperature for optimal enjoyment. There are a lot of basic places in America that treat medium to excellent wines like they do crappy table wines or house wines, and it is such a disappointment when you have to ask for a bucket of ice water to chill down your red wine. So unfortunately 91 and their sister restaurant Table Six join the sad list of other restaurants and chains that leave all their wine behind the bar on a shelf above the refrigerators where they keep the cold beer, and as anyone knows the basic laws of physics, warm air rises, and cool air descends, so the red wine sits there and gets hotter, which can also damage the wine. Now to me, I don’t care what the restaurant does to their wine, because they bought it, but if I’m going to drink it, then they need to do a better job. This is why most chain restaurants or places like this I go to, I bring in my own bottle.
(Scroll down below the main review to see wine tasting notes)

I started with an appetizer of their crab cakes, which most times I’m usually hesitant, because I make excellent crab cakes, and most places I go, they usually taste like crap except for Hank’s Seafood, in Charleston, South Carolina which is the only place that made a better crab cakes then mine. The 91 crab cake here came with a roasted red pepper curry and a lemon caper tarter. The cake had a lot of fillings but missed out on a little flavor that I was expecting. It was okay, but not as good as mine or Hank’s Seafood.
For the salad and the entrée I ordered off their normal menu and went with some special items that they had, not that I didn’t think the entrée’s on the menu weren’t good, I just wasn’t in the mood for a lemon chicken, Marsala chicken, or scallop risotto just to list a few examples of what they had. For the salad course I had a Gorgonzola salad, with spinach, arugula, san marcona almonds, frozen cherries, and zinfandel vinaigrette dressing. It was very tasty but lacked enough arugula lettuce to match the power of the dressing in my opinion.
For the entrée course I tried their Barramundi, breaded and sautéed, served with Yukon mashed potatoes, with a garnie of arugula and kale lettuce, with the same zinfandel vinaigrette. This time there was plenty of Arugula. The fish had a good amount of flavor, but I thought the potatoes were a little dry.
For dessert and I’m surprised I even had room, I asked for recommendations and my server pointed me in the direction of their s’mores dessert which just hit the spot, very rich and very good, graham cracker crust, peanut
butter caramel, ganache, and marshmallows. As I looked back at the kitchen, open air into the dining room, their stone wood fire oven where their pizza’s and a few other items were made, I thought why not, give it a try, since I had time to kill before going back overseas, and I applied.
After I had accepted the job and spoke with the main Chef, I ate at the second 91 restaurant location in Jackson Township where I would also work at before moving to the North Canton location. Night and day is the best way to describe the locations. Jackson was larger, and more spread out compared to North Canton, and the menu was almost the same with the addition of a few items. The service on the other had was not the same. The server in North Canton was attentive and professional; the Jackson server was not, a lady named Corina. When I remember a servers name in a restaurant that I visit, they are either fantastic servers, or their crappy servers, it’s just how it goes. Now Corina may not reflect the restaurant as a whole, but she is remembered for not giving good service or being at all professional. The server at the North Canton location was good, I don’t remember her name, but she was still good.

On this visit, I explored more of the menu so that I would know the type of meals I would be preparing, and this time to avoid the fiasco of a warm to hot red wine; I ordered a bottle white wine, a chardonnay from Rombauer Vineyards in St. Helena, Napa Valley. For an appetizer to start, I had the brie caramel with homemade caramel sauce and salted flat-bread. Now I’m a sucker for brie, I love it, so I figured I’d give this a try. Caramel to me was okay, on dessert, but heck I was open to try anything. Oh my god, it was fowl, the worst combination of flavors I had ever tasted. The caramel was so strong that it blotted out the flavors of the cheese, which is hard to do on a brie, so avoid this appetizer when you visit folks.
For a salad course I had the goat cheese with cherry salad, mesculin greens, glazed pecans, dried cherries, pecan goat cheese medallions, and a cherry zinfandel vinaigrette, it was very good. For the entrée I had to try one of their steaks, simply because of how it was labeled on the menu, Canton’s best strip steak with a house steak butter, vegetable, and potato. I’m not sure if it was the best in Canton as I hadn’t been to every restaurant in Canton, but it tasted like a regular steak to me.



 Also just because it was funny, they had an asparagus soup special one night, and the garnish design, whoever came up with it made me laugh. I guess they were thinking about Colorado and the recent change to the drug laws, and this garnish was their way of supporting it lol




This Restaurant reminds me of:
Being that I worked here, I tried to give a fair review, no bias, and the 91 restaurants were good compared to their sister Table Six, but in the end it reminded me of a basic bistro restaurant that could have a lot more potential if the chef’s stay away from the Food Network as sources for recipes, so I would compare 91 to other places I’ve eaten such as Alioto’s Restaurant in San Francisco, and the Bistro at Biltmore in Asheville, North Carolina.


Other Canton favorites:
Fruedy’s Bar and Grill by Samantha’s
Table Six
Flemings Prime Steakhouse, Akron

Visit other Canton Restaurants at OpenTable.com 
 http://www.opentable.com/oh/canton-restaurants



Cost of wines and other alcoholic beverages in USD:
$70.00

Tasting Notes:
Wine & Grape:
Nose (Bouquet):
Palette Experience:
78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 17% Merlot,
3% Petit Verdot, 1% Malbec, 1% Cabernet Franc. Bright, smooth, and rich ruby color with captivating aromas of black currant, red cherry, and spice are lifted out of the glass.
The wine is inviting with a supple mouth-feel and
notes of cassis, dark chocolate and ripe berries. The layers of complexity continue to develop throughout a silky finish. 19 months in 100% French oak, 30% new.
Juicy peaches, pineapple and lime greet the nose, followed by vanilla and cedar.
Ripe tropical fruit and fig jam flood the lush, silky palate. Soft spice, vanilla and nectarines mark the lengthy finish, while fresh, mouthwatering acidity leaves you longing for another glass.

Wine Regulatory:

Restaurant address: 
1983 East Maple Street
Canton, OH 44720
   
  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ninety+One+Wood+Fired+Oven/@40.875789,-81.367798,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x750df10094830f47?hl=en                                      



Neighborhood:
North Canton

Cross streets:
 Market Ave & Frazer St. NW

GPS Coordinates:
Latitude: 40.876065
Longitude: -81.368579
Contact Information:

Maître d, reservations:
(330) 498-9191
Website:
Email:
Online Reservations :
https://www.seatme.yelp.com/
Social Media:

Facebook Link               
https://www.facebook.com/91WoodFiredOven
https://twitter.com/ninetyone91
http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=91%20wood%20fire%20oven

Hours:
Dinner:
Monday
5:00–9:30 pm
Tuesday
5:00–10:00 pm
Wednesday
5:00–10:00 pm
Thursday
5:00–10:00 pm
Friday
5:00–11:00 pm
Saturday
5:00–11:00 pm
Sunday
Closed
  
Standard Time (GMT -5:00)

Proprietor / Manager:
Jamie Brown
 

https://www.facebook.com/WineDineAndPlay

Review by:
Chef Sean Overpeck (CFE)
in St. Emillion, France 2010


Chef Sean cooks for soldiers in Afghanistan, 2012:





"Culinary perfection consists not in doing extraordinary things, but in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well."

TTFN
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You may also like:

View my food journey on Zomato!

Popular Posts: